29 June 2021

Tire Pressure




Thanks to the pneumatic tire customizing the ride of a bike is as easy as changing tire pressure. Tire pressure is printed on the tire sidewall along with the tire sizes. Tire pressure is listed as a range or max pressure which is dependent on tire construction. Ideal pressure depends on rider weight and riding surface. Max tire pressure isn't necessarily ideal for for riding it's just the max pressure the tire can hold without blowing off the rim. For the best performance the majority of us want to be riding below and even way below the max pressure the tire can hold. 

The right pressure should be firm enough to support the riders weight but not be so firm it's skipping across the riding surface without conforming to it. Or so soft that the tire bottoms out on the rim when under rider load. To find the right pressure I like to use the palm of my hand to push down on the tire with my body weight. Using body weight to find tire pressure is important. Rider weight should deform the tire to the shape of the riding surface. I also will use a pressure gauge but more often refer back to feel. Tire width also factors into tire pressure. The wider the tire the more deformation I want to see when I push down on the tire. 

In my case I'm 150lbs. I'll ride a road tire (23-25mm) on pavement at 70psi. For a mixed surface gravel/pavement tire (35-40mm) 35psi. My 2.4 mtn bike tires never have more than 25psi in them. Riding surfaces and conditions require different tread patterns but pressure stays pretty much the same. Tire selection is a different topic. 

Sometimes I use tubeless tires. Almost exclusively on my mtn bike, part time for road, cyclocross and graveling. Only part time because I like to change up my tires which is easier to do with tubes. Tubeless is good for a couple psi less and maybe some rolling weight. It's really flat protection as you get to that lower ideal psi where flats can happen when bottoming out the tire. Ultimately I'm going for a sense of ride quality and without tube interference I can dial that in closer. I want to feel the tire conforming to the surface I'm riding. My system is start with more pressure than I need and within the first five minutes letting out some pressure to my desired feel.

If your riding at or near your tires max pressure try letting some air out. You'll be surprised by the performance you've been missing out on.